Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Run for Barbara


It is marathon time again in Tennessee. My beautiful grandmother, Barbara Smith, died of cancer in 2004. My heart misses her everyday but I know she is in a better place and she is now holding and loving on the little boy that she lost so long ago. It gives me comfort knowing that it is his turn to have his mommy with him.
Cancer is such a horrible, ugly disease and I am hoping to get as many people together as possible to run and to raise money for St. Jude. We have about 15 people that are running so far and the numbers keep growing. We are running the race on December 6th and I am excited but I am dreading the training. Who wants to spend their Saturdays running 12 to 26 miles at a time? Well- it will be over in December and Marathon training is quite obsessive. I may complain but I truly love it! And for those of you who are reading this and shaking your heads, yes this is my last full marathon. I promise!
Here is a pic of Rachel and I at the Music City Marathon.
I began my training yesterday and running three miles in Tennessee humidity was insanely hot! I stopped and played in sprinklers throughout my route.

3 comments:

Ms. Sarah Sullivan said...

you're right...i was shaking my head! i hope this is your last one, i know it's hard on your body and i love you! be careful in the heat.
when are you coming this way again?

Liz in Memphis said...

Yay Nik! Good job running for cancer ... and good job knowing when to quit!! :) I will be cheering you on from the sidelines. Let's pick up knitting or something ... much less pain! :)

Courtney said...

Full? I thought you were doing the half! And yes, I am also shaking my head.